33rd Annual North Dakota Gelbvieh Association’s Golden Rule Sale

January 30, 2017
Kist Livestock Auction
Mandan, North Dakota
Auctioneer: Jay Elfeldt
Sale Manager: Mitchell Marketing Service
Reported by: Rebecca Mettler

Sale Averages:
22 Gelbvieh and Balancer® Bulls                $4,572
25 Gelbvieh and Balancer® Females          $2,820
Overall Average                                             $3,640

The North Dakota Gelbvieh Association membership did a phenomenal job of putting together a great set of Gelbvieh and Balancer bulls and females for their 33rd Annual North Dakota Gelbvieh Association’s Golden Rule Sale. Buyers from seven states and one Canadian province purchased genetics from the 17 consignors.

Lot 14, WOHL Leverage’s Impact D55, consigned by Wohl Farms, was the top selling lot of the sale. This homozygous black, homozygous polled purebred Gelbvieh bull is sired by CCRO Carolina Leverage 3214A. WOHL D55 boasts a weaning weight EPD in the top 2 percent of the breed, total maternal in the top 3 percent, FPI in the top 5 percent and ribeye area in the top 10 percent. Sandy Graveley of Avon, Montana, realized his potential and purchased lot 14 for $8,000.

Lot 16, WOHL Brule’s Impact D37, consigned by Wohl Farms, was the second high selling bull. This homozygous polled Balancer son of SGRI Brule B806 has five EPDs in the top 5 percent of the breed. Olek Simmentals from Felton, Minnesota, purchased this stout made, clean fronted, and big ribbed bull for $7,750.

Lot 13, WOHL Leverage’s Pepper D23, consigned by Wohl Farms, was the third high selling bull. Tracy Hohertz, Mandan, North Dakota placed the final bid of $5,750 to purchase this son of CCRO Carolina Leverage 3214A.

Lot 5, DGSC Denzel 2D, consigned by Dean G Swenson, was the first in a pair of bulls that sold for $5,500. Denzel 2D exhibits impressive calving ease and maternal traits on paper. West End Gelbvieh Ranch, Hill City, Minnesota, purchased the purebred Gelbvieh bull.

Lot 20, FGC D4, consigned by Feist Gelbvieh, rounded out the top five. This high growth Balancer bull sold to Bernel Appledoorn, Gladstone, North Dakota.

On the female side, Lot 54, SGAR Dandy 610D, consigned by Sarah and Verrick Schock, took the honors of being the high selling female. She is the purebred Gelbvieh daughter of DDGR Jackpot 64B. Layal Grund, Sharon Springs, Kansas, purchased the female for $4,300.

Lot 44, IFG Ivers Miss Cora D12, consigned by the Ivers family, was the second high selling female. This red, double polled Balancer daughter of JRI Top Recruit 254U82 sold to Galen Sickler, Gladstone, North Dakota, for $4,200.

Lot 31, LRSF LRL Snazzy C73, consigned by Lost River Livestock, was the third high selling female. Snazzy is the daughter of CRAN Buck Y019. Jamie Schimming, Enerlin, North Dakota purchased the female for $4,000.